Saturday, November 22, 2008

Chester's First Snow and my musings...

It's snowing up here today...It's the first snow fall of the season and Chester's first, though we are no where near ready to go outside in this weather. My only urge is to stay snuggled inside with my little man!

We are having a nice day. Matt is home and that makes life a whole lot easier for me because being alone with a two week old pretty much sucks. I am totally confident that I can take care of my Chester, but that means all my needs get put on back burner until someone else is here to make sure I get fed and taken care of, too. Word to the wise: if you are expecting now or in the future, plan for a lot of postpartum support. Even if you end up not needing it, it's way better to have the support in place than to be left without it.

Besides Matt being awesome and doing his best to be in school full time and be a stellar dad and partner, I have been supported by a myriad of friends and family. My parents doted on the three of us the first week postpartum and then Matt's mom came to spend the week after that. Plus, my midwife Chris and her daughter Lucretia have done a lot for me. Lucretia is my age and has a one year old son named Ming who is super adorable. It makes for a really nice set up to have a mom-friend 2 miles down the road and one who's ideals are so closely aligned with mine. And, Chris is just awesome, too. Yesterday Chris and Lucretia brought me tons of food to eat while Matt was at school and then kept me company for a few hours. Today, my doula Lisa came by bringing with her my favorite carrot ginger soup. She visited and helped clean up a bit around the house. The help is very very appreciated!

Breastfeeding is going better, but not perfect. It's like this process that is both completely natural and in my experience so far, so NOT easy. It's just not easy! It takes time and patience to be able to learn the body rhythms of another being and to sync them with yours. It works, though, and it's really amazing to see Chester's double chin growing already. He's filling out. It's pretty cool that something completely free and renewable from my body is able to nourish my son. I just can't wait until it's a little easier.

And now Chester is asleep in his sling and I am just taking this time to write and to rest. I can't even begin to tell all of you how crazy this parenthood thing is. Awesome and crazy. I can't imagine a time without Chester being here (ok, well I can...) but life changes so much that it feels like it's been this way forever. It is the most amazing thing ever to be able to hold and touch and love this little being who, in my opinion, is just the most incredible person ever to exist.

He's squirming and I am off to watch him squirm.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love reading about how your days are going with your beautiful son! Lauren showed me a pic from facebook and he was adorable looking like he was smiling up at you or Matt. I love his pudgy cheeks and can't wait to kiss them! Let us know when you're up to a quick visit because I'm not sure I can wait til x-mass to see and hold him again! Remember to keep taking good care of yourself as well. Love and Kisses, Noni

Amy Banzaert said...

It's great to see these photos and posts, Gina!

Breastfeeding gets SO much easier. Steve marvels at how Eli can nurse (including latching on) while I'm sound asleep if we're positioned right, remembering the days when it felt like it required four-six hands to attempt. It's amazing how the interaction changes over time.

-Amy